A super-smoky Christmas sour with mezcal and Calvados.
For the Falconry Demonstration:
- Shake 30ml mezcal, 30ml blood orange cordial*, 30ml fresh lime juice, 15ml Calvados, a barspoon of maraschino, a bar spoon of simple syrup and an egg white without ice to texturise.
- Add ice and shake to chill.
- Strain into a coupe glass and finish with a dash or two of bitters.
For the blood orange cordial:
- Combine the zest and juice of six blood oranges with an equal volume of sugar and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Rest in the fridge overnight and then strain.
- Keep (in the fridge) for up to one week.
This recipe comes from Jay Schroeder at Mezcaleria Las Flores, Chicago.